Training & Counseling
As a personal trainer, you might have a special interest in working with the population of clients that is living with cancer. Not everyone feels a call to this work, but those who do tend to have a fairly strong passion for doing it. Good for you, we know what that feels like!
This website contains a lot of information that you will find helpful, especially for people you might be training who are dealing with cancer treatment, or who are trying to rebuild their lives after treatment has ended. It’s not easy, but our experience is that this is perhaps one of the most dedicated, committed groups of clients you’re likely ever to encounter.
Please note that this area of personal training comes highly informed by a growing body of research, and that many of the practices that are recommended will change over time. It’s pretty important that you keep up to date, so please feel free to check back here on our website. We’ll keep doing as much as we are able to post information that will help you stay updated.
Here are a few resources to help you get started.
- Check out this exercise guide: “Moving Through Cancer: A Guide to Exercise for Cancer Survivors” which we co-wrote with the Physical Therapy leaders at UCSF (the University of California, San Francisco).
- Take a look at our online library of research and articles about cancer and exercise.
- You might also find helpful information in our library of cancer-exercise videos.
- There is excellent educational material available from the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM). You can find the “ACSM’s Guide to Exercise and Cancer Survivorship” on Amazon.com.
- If you are already certified as a personal trainer with an ACSM certification, you can also work toward the full ACSM/ACS Cancer Exercise Trainer Certification. (That’s in conjunction with the American Cancer Association — ACS.)
Finally, we would love to hear from you, and about the work you are doing to help people living with cancer to get exercise.
If we’ve invited you to sign up to instruct one of our classes, you can sign up using the form on the contact page.